Introduction to the TWYG Harry Potter Spin Off Ideas:
The world of Harry Potter is one fans thought to only live on in memory, however recently J.K Rowling, author of all Harry Potter books, recently released a 1500 story on her Harry Potter site Pottermore, giving an insight into the lives of the Hogwarts gang in their 30’s. As expected this has raised questions worldwide as to whether or not Harry Potter would return in another movie. The likeliness of this happening any time soon is extremely unlikely for two reasons. One; because the original cast don’t look old enough to play their older selves in a believable enough way yet, Two; because it would be extremely difficult to make a movie out of 1500 word story. Sorry to burst your bubbles!
Fans everywhere will have no doubt created their own spin-off ideas that could fulfil their dreams in continuing the Wizarding World adventures. Here, by Harry at That’s What You Get, is one idea that could play out well without needing another book for it to work. ‘The Life of Severus Snape’
About ‘The Life of Severus Snape’
Please Note: Facts labelled as facts are done so in regard to their actual placement in existing Harry Potter books.
As opposed to the books, the Harry Potter films feature too little too late about the back story of Severus Snape. Literally minutes before the end of The Deathly Hallows Part 2 we find out the truth behind who Severus is, whose side he is really on and what fully triggered his devotion to Dumbledore and the hatred for Harry Potter. In the books we find out more and more about Snape, a lot of which isn’t even mentioned in the movies. To give you an insight I shall list below some of the key events from the life of Severus Snape, all of which; if used in a movie, would create an excellent addition and spin-off to the already outstanding Wizarding World.
All of which are mentioned below are indeed truthful facts about Severus Snape.
– Severus Snape was born in an extremely un-happy home, which is essentially the main cause of his negative and stern attitude later on in life. He had a terrible relationship with both his Mother and Father and for a long time his friend count was null.
– A young Severus Snape, before he went to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, meets Lily Evans and Petunia Evans. Lily later grows to be the Mother of Harry Potter and the wife of James Potter. During their meets before Hogwarts Lily and Severus become close friends, to the point where Severus develops feelings for Lily.
– Upon arriving at Hogwarts for their first year, Lily and Severus are separated from one another immediately as Severus is put in Slytherin House and Lily is put in Gryffindor, where she meets her future husband James Potter.
– Snape’s interest in the Dark Arts lands him in a poor place social wise during his school years at Hogwarts, and is therefore continuously bullied for his beliefs and interests by James Potter and Sirius Black.
– In his fifth year at Hogwarts Snape is humiliated beyond belief in a public showdown between himself and James and Sirius. This ends in Lily telling Snape that she can’t be friends with him anymore because she doesn’t agree with his outlook on life and his fascination with the darker side of magic.
– Lupin is a werewolf even during his time at Hogwarts and to keep himself from hurting anyone he goes to the Shrieking Shack, as it is isolated and allows him to change into a werewolf in safe peace. One night however, Sirius Black tricks Snape into going to the Shrieking Shack, Snape not knowing that he would be greeted by a brutal death as performed upon him by werewolf Lupin. Upon hearing of this trickery, James Potter runs to Snape’s rescue and reaches him in time before he enters the Shrieking Shack. Dumbledore has since called this a life debt, as James saved his life. Something about being in debt to the boy who bullied him and the man who married the women he loves makes Snape hate the very existence of James Potter, therefore this is part of the reasoning behind his hatred of Harry as James and Harry are similar in numerous ways.
– At the age of 19 years old Severus Snape becomes a Death Eater, a follower of the Dark Lord Voldemort.
– At some point during his years as a death eater he learns of a prophecy as spoken by Professor Trelawney to Albus Dumbledore, speaking of a boy who would one day over power the Dark Lord. Snape leaks this information to Voldemort which eventually results in the murder of James and Lily Potter.
– Snape blames himself massively and thereby tries to make things right by begging for forgiveness from Dumbledore, who eventually agrees to take Snape in. Snape and Dumbledore then work closely together for years and devise a plan which sees the eventual end of Lord Voldemort. Unfortunately for them this involves both of their lives being sacrificed, along with Harry’s, but Harry’s is only a temporary yet necessary thing.
If you don’t agree that this would make a fantastic Harry Potter spin-off movie then there is something seriously wrong with you as a fan! This would certainly work as it would involve finding out more about Severus Snape, and would also involve more filming at Hogwarts which is one thing that fans said let down Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 because there wasn’t any Hogwarts. It would also see the return of keys characters including Sirius Black, James and Lily Potter, Voldemort, Baby Harry Potter, Lupin, Wormtail, Albus Dumbledore, Minerva McGonagall and of course Severus Snape.
See related posts for more Harry Potter potential spin off movies.